Sunday, May 8, 2011

What is considered beauty in Fashion?




Hey guys. I had a conversation with a friend and it bothered me deeply. The basis of the conversation was that my friend was sort of afraid to branch out into the world of Fashion because of their fear of failing. It was not the lack of passion or work ethic that brought upon this fear. It was the fear of failing because of what she looks like. This was not my first discussion of what exactly is considered beauty in the fashion world. Above are two pictures. Both pictures are beautiful to me. Chanel Iman is one of my current favorite models who is of African american decent. Then there is Kate Moss who is a legend and one of the models to break the mold in the fashion world. She is a mere 5'8 in height. Both Kate Moss and Chanel Iman are icons in their own way. Chanel has walked for designers such as Gucci and Chanel. Kate Moss has been taking the fashion world by storm for quite some time now.

Beauty in the fashion world is very limited. There are some people who don't want to admit it but ethnicity play a huge part of that. Not only are African Americans limited in the fashion world but many other ethnic backgrounds as well. When I watch fashion show's there are very few exotic mixtures. The minority are left out completely. I am not only speaking for African Americans but Asians, Latinas, and Mexicans as well. What do you guys think of the fashion industry's idea of beauty? I am interested in hearing other perspectives-Dawn

2 comments:

Shasie said...

Such a great post. This is so true. Minorities are not represented as well as they should be. I hope your friend doesn't let that stop her. It only takes one to make a difference!

Shasie
Live Life in Style

LV said...

Great post! I think the fashion industry has a limited view of what beauty is. Beauty comes in all skin tones, shapes, sizes and heights, but the fashion industry tends to lean towards the same look. This is why many minorities have to look to magazines of their own culture to see people that look like them. We have only recently began to be represented more in mainstream publications, but the change has to start somewhere. I hope your friend goes after what she wants with gusto and does not give up.

http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/